All the news you need to know.
1. RISK ASSESSMENT: According to the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Black thrivers were twice as likely to test positive for COVID-19. Your vaccine is more important than ever.
2. STICK AND POKE: You get a vaccine! And you get a vaccine! A Dana-Farber Cancer Institute study shows the future of preventative cancer recurrence just may be in vaccines tailored to the mutated proteins on a warrior’s own tumor cells.
3. GET CONNECTED: Meet Jasper, a new and free app that simply and easily organizes your cancer journey from warrior to thriver and beyond. hellojasper.com
4. WHAT GOES UP: A new study from the University of Virginia Health System says the colons of African Americans age significantly faster, leading to higher colorectal cancer rates.
5. THE SURGE: The world at large may pause, but cancer doesn’t. The University of New South Wales predicts a 52 percent increase of cancer-related surgery over the next two decades.
6. IN AND OUT: The Tigerlily Foundation in collaboration with Puma Biotechnology, Inc. recently launched BREATHE TV, a new educational and inspirational Facebook Live series dedicated to breast cancer. facebook.com/tigerlilyfoundation
7. TRANSFORMERS: Bionaut Labs, an L.A.-based startup, has created crumb-sized robots which can attack tumors from the inside, possibly reducing or eliminating the need for destructive forms of chemo and radiation.
8. A NICOTINE THING: There’s never been a better time to quit. Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center researchers have found nicotine can lead to the spread of breast cancer cells to the lungs.
9. GAMECHANGER: The new Keep A Breast app is a breast self-check app that connects users to a telehealth medical professional for direct, immediate support. keep-a-breast.org/keep-a-breast-app