Cut out the grease by baking instead of frying these delicious falafels made using chickpeas, a pantry staple.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- Olive oil
- 1 small or ¼ large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons brown rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Lemon wedge or greek yogurt
- Soak chickpeas in water 6-12 hours before preparing recipe.
Note: If using canned chickpeas, drain chickpeas and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake at 200 F for 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Brush a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Drain chickpeas and add to a food processor. Add onion and spices.
Blend until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Add brown rice flour and baking soda to the food processor. Mix until
combined. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the mixture onto the baking sheet. Lightly press
down forming a 2-inch patty. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Drizzle each patty with olive oil and bake for 18-20 minutes, flipping
- Top with lemon juice or greek yogurt to serve.