Tired of baking tons of breads and pastries? Try this healthy snack, incorporating a little bit of chocolate and chia seeds for nutrients.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup pistachios, shelled
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut flakes (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 medium or large apples
- 2 dark chocolate bars or 1 cup dark chocolate chips (over 55% dark)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add shelled pistachios, coconut flakes, chia seeds and cinnamon to a food processor and blend until roughly chopped. Pour onto a plate to form an even layer.
- Slice each apple into 8 wedges, discarding the seeds and core.
- Heat a small saucepan over low. Add dark chocolate and coconut oil.
- Once chocolate has melted completely, remove from heat.
- Hold the apple slice vertically and tilt the saucepan. Dip the bottom half of the slice into the chocolate. Roll it immediately in the pistachio mixture until chocolate is fully covered. Lay on the lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining apple slices.
- Refrigerate baking sheet for 20 minutes before serving.
(Note: Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freezer for up to 2 months.)