Since alluring travel plans remain far off in the distance, experience new international flavors at home with these nutrient-packed regional dishes.
- 4 large or 6 small golden beets
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons honey
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon za’atar seasoning
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 2 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled
- Remove the greens from the beets and rinse under running water.
- In a medium saucepan, submerge beets in water. Add 1 teaspoon salt. Cover.
- Bring beets to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook for 45 minutes–1 hour, or until beets are fork tender.
- Drain water from saucepan and peel beets. Cool peeled beets in the refrigerator.
- In a food processor, blend Greek yogurt, olive oil, honey, garlic, za’atar and ½ teaspoon salt until smooth.
- Retrieve beets. If using small beets, cut into quarters lengthwise. If using large beets, cut into quarters lengthwise, then cut each piece in half crosswise, forming 8 large chunks.
- Spread yogurt mixture evenly onto a platter or shallow bowl. Add beets on top, forming an even layer. Scatter the green onions, toasted hazelnuts, pomegranate seeds and goat cheese. Sprinkle with za’atar seasoning if desired. Serve immediately.