Lentils are a pantry staple. Use them when crafting this delicious take on a bolognese.
Yield: 4 servings
- Any pasta
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 stalk celery, cut in half, with leaves removed
- 1 small carrot
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (and more for serving)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- One 14.5-ounce can roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (and more for serving)
- Add lentils to bowl. Wash with running water. Stir lentils with your
fingers and drain. Repeat until the drained water is clear. Soak in more water and set aside.
- Boil pasta and set aside.
- In a food processor, blend onion, garlic, celery and carrot until finely
- Heat a large pot over high heat and add olive oil.
- Add onion mixture, oregano, red pepper flakes and ½ teaspoon salt.
Stir every few minutes until mixture starts to stick to the pan, about 6-8 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, drained
lentils, 2 cups water and the other ½ teaspoon salt. Mix until tomato paste is evenly distributed, then cover and let simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until lentils are tender and liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Add white wine. Cover and simmer until wine is reduced, about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add parmesan cheese and mix until
- Add cooked pasta. Top with grated parmesan and red pepper flakes, if
desired. Serve immediately.