From dawn to dusk, we’ve got your meal plans covered with hearty, healthy recipes fit for any time of day. Try this one for breakfast.
Created by Amber Sullivan
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, sliced or 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup scallion/green onion, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 5 ounces spinach
- 3 ounces arugula, rough chopped
- 2 heaping tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 large eggs
- Sliced and toasted sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup of green salsa (optional for a spicy kick)
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Mixed herbs (i.e., fresh dill, cilantro, sliced dark ends of scallion/green onion, chives, etc.)
- Sliced avocado
- “Everything” seasoning
- Za’atar seasoning
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Chili flakes
- Olive oil drizzle
- In a pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil.
- Once the oil is shimmery and hot, add sliced shallot (or onion) and sauté for about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and minced scallion. Sauté for another 2–3 minutes until fragrant.
- Fold in spinach and chopped arugula, and cook for another 2 minutes until greens are slightly softened.
- Fold in yogurt and optional salsa, stirring until combined.
- Add sea salt and cracked pepper.
- Make 4 small wells in the mixture to crack eggs in. Crack 1 egg in each well. Add a tiny pinch of salt and pepper on each egg.
- Cover pan and reduce heat to low/medium. Let cook for 3–5 minutes depending on eggs preference.
- Remove lid and add preferred toppings. Serve shakshuka by spooning mixture on top of toasted sourdough bread.