Allow the flavors of fall to ease you into this season. These anti-inflammatory dishes balance out the sweet, the savory, the acid and the spice and will have your friends and family feeling the love.
Yield: 4 servings
4 large heirloom or beefsteak tomatoes
1/2 cup salted pistachios, shelled
1/4 cup pine nut
1/2 teaspoon salt (plus more to season)
2 cloves of garlic, whole, peeled
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
1/4 cup olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
3 tablespoons golden raisins, chopped
1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Slice 1/2 inch off the top of each tomato. Save tops. Remove the seeds and juice. Season the insides of each tomato with salt and add to an 8-by-8 inch baking dish.
- In a food processor, add pistachios, pine nuts, garlic, parmesan, basil, thyme and olive oil. Pulse until well combined. Transfer to a bowl and add golden raisins.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the mixture into each tomato. Add shredded mozzarella cheese. Layer another spoonful of the mixture and another layer of mozzarella. Keep layering until the tomatoes are fully stuffed.
- Add the tops back on to the tomatoes and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.